Sunday, May 12, 2013

On turning 40

How does one describe the feeling of turning 40??  I still feel like I'm 25 inside, but the gray hairs, slower metabolism and growing children remind me that, yep, it's true....I'm really 40!  The fact that my life is half over, if I live a good, long life, that is, is sobering.

Have I spent my 40 years pointing people to Jesus?  Have I made Him happy?  How can I make the next 40 years much better than the first?  These are some of the questions I have been pondering....

I remember when my own mother turned 40.  She cried.  I'll admit, I shed a few tears as well, but not because I'm sad to be 40, but grateful, expectant and humbled.  I believe God has me on this Earth for a specific purpose and I am grateful He still wants to use me.

I am a goal setter and turning 40, for me, is a great time to set some new ones.....the top five are:
slow down and experience the moment
 understand my husband more deeply and love him in the way he understands best
 stop worrying so much, especially about things out of my control 
love and like my kids with every ounce of strength I have while they are still under my influence
 get into the best shape of my life  

My children asked me how I felt on my birthday.  I told them "happy and blessed"......"and a little bit old!"

No comments:

Post a Comment