Thursday, January 24, 2013

Music is one of God's greatest gifts to mankind.  Music has been an intregal and important part of my life for as long as I can remember.  I love all kinds of music, from country to opera and everything in between.  Hearing certain songs brings back some of the most joyful memories of my life as well as some of the most painful.  There have been times where music has gotten me through the day.

Both of my parents sing very well and I grew up watching my dad lead the congregational singing in church, as well as the choir.  I had the privilege of being in school choirs for most of my growing up years and of being taught by some very talented people.  When I was in high school, I finally got the nerve to sing duets, trios and in small choral groups.  Such fun!  As a Junior in high school, my friend and I joined the adult church choir.....the only teenagers to do such a thing.

One of the things I missed so very much living overseas for 15 years was singing......in English, with others, especially in a choir.  In Cuba, 13 years ago, I joined a church choir for their Christmas cantata, without knowing any Spanish.  I just wanted to sing!  My eyes were glued to the music the entire time.  After that, I sang in a church choir in Delaware for about 2 months, then didn't sing in any kind of group until we came to Central Baptist in 2010 and I jumped into the choir.  I enjoyed it so very much. It was like being home.  Once again, I'm back in the Central choir and love the practice, the challenge and the chance to edify, encourage and praise through music.

When I heard about the Northeast Texas Choral Society, I was very interested.  Brent works with one of the pianists, so when she mentioned that auditions were open this month, I thought it sounded like fun.....why not?  I really wasn't too terribly nervous until the lady who auditioned before me was turned down flat.  After my audition, when the director shook my hand and said "welcome", I was so excited and relieved.  I think I actually did a fist pump.  Our first rehearsal was all work, no play.  Fifteen pieces of music were handed out.  There is no going over parts like I'm used to, just singing!  It was so much fun.  We are practicing for a concert in May called "Sing to me of Heaven" and all of the songs are either spirituals or songs about God, His grace and His goodness.  They are absolutely beautiful.
The icing on the cake is that I have to.....uh, get to buy a formal black dress.  Yes!  I'm going to love this!

Mostly, I am thankful for the gift of music, the talent God has given me and the chance to sing to Him and for Him.

"Sing to the Lord a new song!"

No comments:

Post a Comment