Tuesday, January 15, 2013

What is it about snow that makes me happy?  Is it the jaw dropping beauty?  Yes!  Is it the clean, pure white?  Yes!  Is it the wonder of millions of different snowflakes falling?  Yes!  Is it the possibility of a day off of work?  Yes!  Is it the bright eyes and shrieks of my kids?  Yes!  Is it the boys throwing it, eating it and making a snowman?  Yes!  Is the excuse to stay in comfy, warm clothes and puffy slippers all day?  Yes!  

Having grown up in Virginia, I've seen some serious snow.  I love the pictures my parents have of one of their cars totally buried in snow when I was about eight years old.  I always waited anxiously to see if school would be delayed two hours of if we would get the whole day off.  

We had the coolest house on the block when I was a girl.....for one reason and one reason only.  Our back yard was a huge hill and excellent for snow sledding.  Any time there was snow, neighbors we had never even met would congregate in our back yard and sled down our awesome hill.  My mom used to get so irritated that strangers would just use our yard without asking!  Every once in awhile, a polite child would knock on the door and ask for permission to sled.  We had such fun sledding down that hill, wiping out, daring each other to go down the fastest part, seeing who could go the farthest, freezing all the while.  The only negative was tromping back up that big old hill, pulling the sled behind us, only to repeat the whole thing again.

Since moving to Texas, we have heard numerous times that it doesn't snow here.  Bummer.  Interestingly, it has already snowed three times this winter......not a ton, granted, but it is snow.  On Christmas day, we were shocked and thrilled when it snowed the hugest cotton ball snowflakes I had ever seen!  It was such a sweet gift for us.  Today it snowed a little bit and it is cold enough that the kids get a two hour delay at school tomorrow.  Yay!

What is it about snow that makes me happy?  Everything!






No comments:

Post a Comment