Thursday, January 10, 2013

My grandmother, Ruth Elizabeth Perdue, turned 90 on Christmas day.  Ninety.  I can hardly fathom that she was born in 1923.  I guess that's how my kids feel when I tell them I was born in 1973!  She has lived through so many historical events and still remembers most of them.  Her memory is amazing.

She lives alone, drives herself around and makes a living sewing and making crafts to sell.  She also has a part time job sitting with "old people" as she likes to joke.  She is the Scrabble queen, and don't you forget it!

Grandma was so patient with me when I was a kid, teaching me how to bake, cook, sew and how to save a penny.  She has always loved yard sales and thrift stores.....as a matter of fact, I don't know that she has ever bought me anything brand new!  We used to tease her about her raisin cookies because each cookie usually only had one raisin in it!  Same with chocolate chip cookies.  Hey, who needs to put the whole bag in one batch, it's an overkill, really........

I used to love to listen to her stories about her younger days and about my dad and his brothers growing up.  She loves pictures and will still go through piles of them, remembering the story behind each......naming each grandchild and great grandchild, remembering their ages, spouses' names and what they are doing now.  (The last count I knew was 20 grandchildren, most with spouses, and 26 great grandchildren.)  What touches me the most is that she never fails to send a card and small gift for every birthday and anniversary - to ALL of us!  She amazes me.

Love for God has permeated my grandma's life.  She probably hasn't missed a dozen church services in all these years and has held to His promises during some very difficult times.  A widow now for many years, her faith in her Heavenly Father has become more real and precious, I'm sure.

Reaching 90 years of age is quite a milestone, but touching the lives of her family for 60 years is worthy of praise and honor.


No comments:

Post a Comment